Monday, December 28, 2009

Should I save photographs as tiffs or photoshop documents?

I want a way to archive my photos, so that later if I want to create other sizes (ex 5x7 from an 8x10), I can without having a compressed image. Does tiff files compress and lose data? A Photoshop Document is so big. I know I don't want JPG because they are compressed. What's the best format? And don't go into all that lossy and loseless jargon. Just give me a straight answer. I will not give the points to someone just because you can explain lossy and lossless. Short and sweet please.Should I save photographs as tiffs or photoshop documents?
I would save them as Photoshop documents because that is a standard tool and there are many programs available to convert them to other formats if necessary. The quality should be as good as TIFF and you won't have to go through a conversion process to access changes you already made in Photoshop.Should I save photographs as tiffs or photoshop documents?
Tiffs or eps files are best for reprint. I prefer eps when they are brought to me for reprints but... they are about the same.





Tif files and eps files enlarge mathmatically, they in essence create more pixels to keep image clarity. Jpegs merely stretch existing pixels.


If you save a jpeg at a large size during your scan or while taking a photo they should still come out very clear unless you try to enlarge them alot.





If you do oversize printing I would always reccomend tif or eps.





Worked at a print shop for over ten years now so... take that for what you will.
Not say it is best, but I use TIFF and so far so good.
You should save them as a jpeg and burn them to a CD, isn't that the format already, almost everything is compatible with a jpeg rather than tiff and if you save them as photo shop document you'll only be able to open them with photo shop.
Neither TIFF nor Photoshop format loose data, both can apply some compression but it's not going to save a lot of space.





Photoshop format is better as it retains all of the extra information such as layers, effectes, text, etc, so you can go back and do further editing later.





You can esily resize and convert to other formats as you need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment